ShareThis

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Ditch the Melatonin Pills for a Better Night's Rest


If you're in the same boat, give yourself a "relaxation period" at the end of the day before going to bed. Anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to give yourself to slow down and prepare yourself for sleep. This will aid in the natural process of melatonin secretion in your brain. Try dimming the lights, taking a break from the TV or computer, and giving yourself time to meditate or think deep. A warm bubble bath is a great accompaniment to it all.


Off and on I have tried melatonin pills as means of circumventing the effects of caffeine intake late in the day or evening. Recently, they have been giving me headaches, making me exhausted and tired during the day, and overall, been detrimental on my mood, mentally and physically.




I already know a better way to get a good night's sleep - go for a run during the day, or do some exercise whatever it may be. Eat healthy meals 3 times a day and avoid caffeine and soft drinks.


But I can't do that. It is so intertwined with my daily cycle that Im not sure I could break it even if I tried.

So, I will do my best to "have it all" without using the Melatonin pills.


What is important here is that you're giving your body time to de-stress. If you go straight to bed, you still carry all the stress from today into tomorrow. Giving yourself time to process things, and come to solutions and ideas, will give you less stress the next day. Try it out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment