ShareThis

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Craigslist Subleasing scam "Sublease Inquiry"

Here is a back and forth email over a sublease I had last year; obviously the other end was full of crap with this story. I looked up the origin of the email sent; Nigeria. No wonder....


Initial Email from the user after my craigslist posting:
------------------
from abebe johnson abebe.johnson@yahoo.com

date: Thu, May 26, 2011 at 4:28 PM



Hello,
I am Amanda,i work with Foreshore Services.
Presently am on assignment in the UK.I will be going on leave
soon,so i will be relocating to your area in few weeks time
and i am interested in renting the house/apt/room you
advertised on the classified ads.
I will also want to know your final asking price plus
utility,availability date and lease duration.

Thanks.


-------


My response: (recognizing that the recipient was clearly a scam artist)

date: Thu, May 26, 2011 at 8:34 PM


Hi amanda! Can I get some background information about you and your job relocation before we set up rent arrangements?

The monthly rent price will be $750 and it is in a prime location (spare ribs everywhere). Lease duration can be 2 months or 2 years it depends on if we are in daylight savings time.

Utilities is about $8.65  because the place has solar panels that provide most of your electric power (they are on the inside of the window, sun only comes in 25 % of the time but it stores plenty of solar power)

Also the microwave is dirty but it is part of rent.

Thank you,
Joe

--------------------------
from abebe johnson abebe.johnson@yahoo.com

date: Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:05 AM

About me:  I'm Female,Single,Non-Smoker, I enjoy running and snowboarding, and I enjoy fixing things. I don't mind cleaning and tend to be fairly neat. I like pets, but I don't have any of my own at this point. If there's anything else you want to know,pls do not hesitate to ask. 

I will stay for 2 months since am only coming to spend my leave from work.


==================

I didn't bother responding to this, but I have a much better email I'll be sharing soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment