ShareThis

Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Room" email response to Craigslist posting

Background

    The following is an conversation back and forth between me and davon "Deborah" smith. In the spring of 2010, I was looking for a summer sublease. I was unable to procure any legitimate responses, but I did get a number of scam responses. You might be asking "How could they scam you if they are trying to sublease your apartment?" That's the thing- they're not trying to get the sublease. They're trying to obtain your information to either 1. Attempt to take your identity in selling that sublease to scam others. or 2. Attempt to secure the sublease with you and attempt to scam with money sent back and forth (there are many types of payment website / check / money order scams. For example, They could send you a fake check for more than the amount stated for the apartment, then ask you to send the remainder back to them. While their check is fake, yours would be real, and you would be scammed out of money.

from: davon smith togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com
to:
date: Mon, May 16, 2011 at 8:00 AM
subject: Room
signed-by: yahoo.com
Do you still have any room available for rent as at now?Is the room of average size?I will like to make an enquiry and to know more about the room.Is the room available as furnished?Do you have pictures of it? I will check in for your reply ..Deborah


Note; the next response is a legit response, so it is not really worth reading.


from: Joe 
to: davon smith <togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com>
date: Mon, May 16, 2011 at 10:05 PM
subject: Re: Room
mailed-by: iastate.edu


Hi Deborah, 
the room is still available for rent. The room is available to be furnished with a loft and bookshelf but that is all there is there. There are 2 sofas in the living room, a futon, 42" tv, and large work desk in the living room. If you would like to check the place out this weekend I can show it to you. I am not living there at the moment so I can't get the specific dimensions of the bedroom. If you like I can take out the loft and bookshelf leaving your room space empty for your move in.
Rent is $300 firm, normally $480 with the parking place but I will cover that past $300. You also pay electricity which will run around $50 monthly.
Not much else I can think of. Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Joe
from: davon smith togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com
to: Joe 
date: Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM
subject: Re: Room
signed-by: yahoo.com

Hi thanks for getting back to me, cos honestly my accommodation is really on my mind, and I would like to rent the room for about 6-months and if possible it can extend for 12-months(So i am renting for a minimum of 6-months starting from June 3nd. will be happy if am able to secure the room down before coming to Canada.i am in the uk with my mum,my Dad is from New mexico and my mum is British. i live most of my life in New mexico and i move to the Uk when my parent separated. well am a software designer i make all kind of software, and its really being a while since i design anything cos this family thing is really distracting me, and i want to get a away from it. i have being in the Uk for a while now and i think is time to get back and start doing something again.I am very sure you will never regret renting the room to me..I will like to know the total move in cost.I am an easy-going person.I dont drink, i dont smoke though i do not have any allergy to people who smoke being around me..I am very friendly,neat and i love going to the movies.I love kids so much..I am 26 years old,quite easy to get along with and i have no criminal records nor bad habits.I will love to view the room myself.I promise to pay my rent and untility bills on time.Thanx a lot and i look forward to seeing the total move in cost in your next email so that i can secure the place down this week.
Regards, Deborah



At this point I was getting quite suspicious...


from: Joe 
to: davon smith <togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com>
date: Tue, May 17, 2011 at 1:24 PM
subject: Re: Room
mailed-by: iastate.edu
What made you decide to move to Ames, Iowa from the United Kingdom? It sounds like you will fit in well at the apartment.
Joe


from: davon smith togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com
to: Joe 
date: Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:47 AM
subject: Re: Room
signed-by: yahoo.com
Hello Joe, i will settle for the room  from  June 3rd because that when i will be coming, if that is ok with you  and i will be working with Aspi Solutions Inc 1601 Golden Aspen Drive, Ames IA .Honestly it will be a great pain if you give out the room to someone else. Its such a pity that i can not come down all the way from here right now just to view the room and meet you in person...but i am begging you to hold the room down for me till my arrival back.I know that there should be some roommate papers that i need to see,so you should kindly make them ready so i can then do all the necessary paper works in person as soon as i return back. 

Please my accommodation needs is very important right now so i will be ok with the room cos the monthly rent fees is ok with me. I look forward to my coming back .Kindly secure the room down for me, on my arrival we can then tidy up any loose strings.You should get back with name, the mailing address and your phone number for the rent deposits so that the deposit can be paid out this coming week just so that you can secure the room down for me until my arrival cos my accommodation needs is really a huge priority to me right now.

God bless,  
Deborah

Deborah 1.JPG
162K


She even had the kindness to include a picture of an older woman. At this point I was cracking up 







from: Joe 
to: davon smith <togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com>
date: Wed, May 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM
subject: Re: Room
Im sorry Deborah, the room is only available for rent for 2 months. 
from: davon smith togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com
to: Joe
date: Wed, May 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM
subject: Re: Room
signed-by: yahoo.com
Hello Joe, i will settle for the room  for june and July. Its such a pity that i can not come down all the way from here right now just to view the room and meet you in person...but i am begging you to hold the room down for me till my arrival back.You should get back with name, the mailing address and your phone number for the rent deposits so that the deposit can be paid out this coming week just so that you can secure the room down for me until my arrival cos my accommodation needs is really a huge priority to me right now.God bless,
Deborah

At this point I knew it was fake. I had traced the sender IP to Nigeria, so I wanted to have some fun.


from: Joe
to: davon smith <togodbetheglory1970@yahoo.com>
date: Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:13 PM
subject: Re: Room


It is a pity, Davon. You are a beautiful woman, and I would like to make a deal with you that is mutually beneficial. I need to move back in for the summer, but my room is very spacious and there is enough room for both of us. I would like to get to know you better. You are very pretty and mature for your young age of 26. That and your chest is immaculate. Should you accept, I would cut out your living costs for the simple trade of you being a good girlfriend and keeping the place clean and bringing me sandwiches whenever I ask. I want to hear your delicate voice, please call me right away, my number is 212-660-2245.

Joe 
p.s. heres a picture of the Ames beach at sunset. I can show you when you arrive in June.

Sent from a Droid ZR350sunset-at-ames-beach.jpg45K








And I never heard from her again...

5 comments:

This happened to me as well! I get these emails many times for apartment but I do not respond to these types because it is scam.

This person tried to scam me today,
but I questioned the email address and I'm glad I saw this post.

Post a Comment